Friday, April 30, 2010

Mary J. Blige Brings My Life Fragrance to HSN with Carols Daughter

Via WWD:


Over the decades, much has been made of what is in a fragrance bottle — hope or science? For Mary J. Blige, it’s transformation.

“I wanted my fragrance to be something special for my female fans,” said Blige of her new fragrance with Carol’s Daughter, My Life, named for her landmark 1994 recording of the same name. The album represented a major turning point in Blige’s life and by using it as a reference, she is attempting to encapsulate her decadelong transformation and triumph.

... While the My Life scent may be meant to represent everyday life, Blige and Carol’s Daughter are breaking the bonds of traditional prestige fragrance retailing by choosing to launch My Life solely on HSN on July 31. Blige is an investor in Carol’s Daughter, which also is a break with industry practice.

... During six HSN shows on July 31. Blige will appear in all of the spots, and the scent will be the channel’s featured product for the day. HSN is filming a series of documentary pieces about Blige’s life, which will air during Blige’s July 31 appearances on the network.

... Stoute and Grossman declined to discuss sales projections or number of available units, although industry sources estimated that My Life could do more than HSN has ever tallied with a fragrance show. Industry sources interpreted that prediction to mean $5 million to $7 million in sales on the first day alone. If My Life follows past Carol’s Daughter-HSN patterns (for instance, the brand moved 3,000 units of bath salts in 15 minutes and 3,300 units of its body soufflés in 23 minutes during a May 2008 appearance) the scent may sell out before Blige does her last show.


Click Here For More Home Shopping News ------>